[seek-dev] data integration use cases

Deana D. Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Thu Apr 7 18:18:10 PDT 2005

These are on my to-do list, along with getting examples of the data,
constructing an example ontology (simplified from Rich's ontologies), and
manually annotating the fields as an example.  I'm at a conference right now,
but this is getting close to the top of the list when I return.

Deana

Quoting Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu>:

> Hi Jenny,
>
> Just the other day Deana Pennington told me she would try to track down
>
> the specific notes  of the BEAM meeting and try to summarize the data
> integration use cases from the meeting.  I'll ask her to announce on
> seek-dev when she's found and summarized that stuff.  We'll then be able
>
> to discuss it in May.
>
> Will you be coming to the May meeting?  I've been hoping so because it
>
> would be good to consider how a tool like SCIA (or its underlying
> technologies) facilitate the data and model integration tasks in
> kepler.
>
> Matt
>
> Jenny Guilian WANG wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> >>From your email regarding the suggested ecogrid tasks, I see you
> > will talk about
> > semi-automated
> > data integration at the May developers meeting. Where can we
> > get the use cases identified in beam
> > biodiversity meeting? It seems very relevant to our work, I hope to
> check
> > out if our schema mapping
> > tool scia may be directly applied or adjusted to it.
> >
> > We are improving scia in order to make it really useful for data
> > transformation and integration in practice. We are trying to make sure
> it
> > can handle much more complicated schemas like EML and ADN, and
> ontologies,
> > while adding more uses of constraints in the matching and view
> generation
> > algorithms and improving its GUI. As you know, we are looking
> > for more
> > funding to support the work.
> >
> > Your information and help will be appreciated very much!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jenny
>
> --
> Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
> http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Fax: 425-920-2439    Ph: 907-789-0496
> National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
> University of California Santa Barbara
> Interested in ecological informatics? http://www.ecoinformatics.org

Dr. Deana D. Pennington
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001