[seek-dev] Re: EcoGrid

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:41:51 PST 2004

Hi Raja,

Thanks for the note.  I more or less agree with your assessment.
Unfortunately, I haven't tracked the progress to date very effectively,
so I'm not sure if we're ready to package stuff up.  I think we should
have another conference call to firm up the progress and decide on a
release date and its contents.  The call should include you, me, jing,
bing, dave, and rod at a minimum.  I propose
    Thursday January 15th at 1pm PST
for a conference call.  Can everyone do it at 1pm PST?  Please let me
know if you can not.  When we finalize the time, I'll send out
conference call information to everyone.

Some additional notes below...

Arcot Rajasekar wrote:

> Hi Matt
> 	Bertram, Bing and I had a long conversation about what is done and
> what is needed in the next phase of the project.  I looked at what we had
> laid out in our Seattle meeting and later confirmed at the  Santa Barbara
> meeting. I think we should package the Ecogrid up and
> provide it with an easy use client sp that our SEEK scientists canm start
> playing with it and give feedback to this.
> I suggest that we quickly make the following available:
>     1. Server
> 	Metacat wrapper  (Jing)
> 	SRB Wrapper   (Bing)
> 	Digir wrapper (?)
>         Xanthoria wrapper (?)
Maybe we can get DiGIR out, but I doubt Xanthoria at this point.  I
think Rod has been struggling with getting the basic GT3 setup in place,
which indicates to me that GT3 will likely have some serious deployment
issues.  But no harm in our releasing what we have working in
Metacat/SRB as an alpha of some sort.

>      providing the following functionalities:
> 	query
> 	get
> 	put

We haven't implemented "put" AFAIK, unless we got it for free by
switching to using GridFTP.

>    2. set up a SEEK registry (already done by Matt)

Actually, not complete.  I figured out that we could use the globus
tools here, but we still have some work to define the metadata for
services that will be registered, install a production GT3 instance to
act as a registry node, and write up documentation about how to do it
(register a node).

>    3. get a client package
>          for java based developer users
>          for web-based users with a simple interface into SEEK ecogrid.

Agreed.  Jing has a initial client available.  We can and should package
this as a library for distribution and make a web interface.  But...we
need to do a code review to make sure it is designed properly.  At this
point there has been very little design going into the code that's been
written, so its all rather ad-hoc.  This is mostly because we've been
experimenting with GT3 which has been troublesome at the least.

I also think we should make it a high priority to make Kepler
communicate over the EcoGrid to retrieve data.  This has been the
limiting factor to demonstrating many of the Kepler tools.  I am hoping
Jing can incorporate his current client in Kepler by the BEAM meeting in
ABQ coming up in a few weeks.

> This will give the portal into SEEK with some EcoGrid funbctionality which
>     we can add more functionality through WSDL for AMS/SMS and such

Agreed.  One other major component needs to be finalized before we can
proceed: a production CA and a testing framework.

We decided on an architecture for it at the last meeting, but haven't
made any real progress towards setting that up.  Until this is set up,
we won't be able to share data at all unless we decide to only expose
anonymously accessible data over EcoGrid for now.

In Santa Barbara we agreed we needed a testing framework to use to test
various EcoGrid implementations.  Rod agreed to code this, probably in
JUnit, but I haven't heard anything from him.  This would allow us to
insert some standard data in a EcoGrid node, query it, and retrieve it,
making sure we're getting the exact same behavior from Metacat, SRB and
other EcoGrid wrapped services.  I think we need some progress on this
before we can release in good conscience.

> Once this is done, we can redirect the EcoGrid team to AMS work until we
> have gathered more user input  at which time we can proceed to
> level2 and level3 or EcoGrid implementation

OK.  I think some of the other EcoGrid interfaces are important, such as
aggregation nodes, but we can discuss that relative to other priorities
during the conf call.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara