[seek-dev] Some name issues in ecogrid

Bing Zhu bzhu at sdsc.edu
Fri Dec 5 11:53:04 PST 2003

Jing,

Since we are in the development phase, I think such changes before official
software
release are reasonable. Just let us (including all SEEKers) know any
corresponding
changes we need to have in our implementations.

And also I have following thoughts regarding our production level software.

1. Official Ecogrid Env varibale(s):
    We need to have a official env variable such as 'SEEK_ECOGRID_HOME' in
our document
    and also in our build file for the installation of Ecogrid client/server
software.

2. Setenv file for running Ecogrid client:
    We need to have files, setenv.sh for UNIX and setenv.bat for Windows,
for adding Ecogrid
    classes into 'CLASS_PATH' for user to run Ecogrid client manually/ in a
script. e.g.
    > java org.ecoinformatics.ecogrid.client.EcogridQueryClient query GSH
query_document

3. Debug Info: System admin should be able to turn debug on/off through a
config file.

4. build.xml:
    Current build.xml in CVS is generally for Metacat system. When I tried
to check in my part, I found
    we need to discuss about the some targets/properties so that we can have
an official and clean one
    for our software release. e.g.
        <property name="impl.package.dir"
value="org/ecoinformatics/ecogrid/srb/impl"/>
    should be more specific as of following.
        <property name="metacat.impl.package.dir"
value="org/ecoinformatics/ecogrid/srb/impl"/>
    In this case, I can check in SRB as,
        <property name="SRB.impl.package.dir"
value="org/ecoinformatics/ecogrid/srb/impl"/>

5. A simple pre-compiled package for Ecogrid client.
   In build.xml file, we need to have a target to create a simple package (a
tar file) to include
   class files, jar files, etc along with a readme document.

Bing