[obs] Joining DwC, OBOE, PO and PATO

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Thu Oct 28 12:14:08 PDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Matt Jones wrote:

> Or even to the dwc:Occurrence itself of we can consider an
> observation to be a type of Occurrence.
>
> Fascinating.  In high-level conceptual terms, I have always
> considered an occurrence to be a form of observation, not the other
> way around.

Yes indeed, I've been inclined that way too. I was about to post that
the other day on tdwg-content - I am curious what the audience there
thinks about the relation between Occurrence and Observation.

The sticky question might be whether an occurrence that wasn't
observed is still an occurrence. If it is, can there be observations
that don't have an observer, and if there can't be, then perhaps an
occurrence is really not a kind of observation.

	-hilmar