[obs] Joining DwC, OBOE, PO and PATO

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 28 09:47:24 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Cam Webb <cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Very useful.  And should DwC eventually accept an Observation class itself,
> the oboe:hasContext of the fruit observation could point straight to that.
> Or even to the dwc:Occurrence itself of we can consider an observation to be
> a type of Occurrence.

Fascinating.  In high-level conceptual terms, I have always considered an
occurrence to be a form of observation, not the other way around.  This is
because an occurrence records the presence or absence of an individual of a
species at a particular place and time.  An observation is a record of any
type of measurement within any context, and so might include, for example,
the measurement of the size of an organism at a location and time.  This
observation can then be used to infer that the organism was present at that
place and time, and therefore that we can say it occurred there as well.