[kepler-users] Workflow with instances dependency

Ilkay Altintas altintas at sdsc.edu
Tue Jun 12 17:28:25 PDT 2007

Luis,

You can have a workflow the has the instances of web services for
item K of your simulation under PN or SDF (given n below is known
before scheduling) and has monitoring actors (check and get results
if necessary) for the tasks in item K-1. So assuming that your Task 1
through 4 depends also on each other and there are n items, one way
to model it is:

                                                             Check
Task1(K-1)    Check Task4 (K-1)

V                                            V
K-Assigner(0..K..n) -> Task1 (K) -> Task2 (K)-------------- -> Task3
(K) -> Task4 (K)

K-Assigner will keep assigning the new items as the item before is
processed. In this way, you can model it using web services as only
web services for one item will be used at one time.

If you do this in PN, you might end up having thousands of web
services at the same time for Task 1, but you can get around it by
limiting it in the workflow by the K-Assigner actor.

There might be more efficient ways of doing the same thing by keeping
two instances running at the same time using PN. Something like
below, but the one below won't work.

K-Assigner(0..K..n) -> Task1 (K-1) -> Task2 (K-1) -> Task3 (K-1) ->
Task4 (K-1)

V                                                           V
                                   -> Task1 (K) -> Task2 (K)

Hope you get the illustrations correctly...

-ilkay

--
Ilkay ALTINTAS
Lab Director, Scientific Workflow Automation Technologies (SWAT)