[kepler-users] Web Services support in kepler

Ilkay Altintas altintas at sdsc.edu
Mon Oct 10 11:13:35 PDT 2005

Hi Hemapani,

My comments are interspersed below.

On Oct 7, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Hemapani Perera wrote:

> I am trying to have a idea about the Web Service support for the
> kepler.
>    I used the Web Service actor and get rpc style (use encoding) web
> Service working with kepler.
>
> I read though but do not find a document that talks about the level of
> Web Service support.
>
> I am intersted in know about the keplers support for the following
>
> 1) simple type web services - [basic types, String ..int ect and there
> arrays]
> 	a) rpc style      - This is working

	You mean this is working in Kepler, right? The current actor allows
for simple types and arrays of them.

> 	b) document style - ?

	We have an unpublished (not in the CVS yet) version of a web service
actor that allows document style services that pass XML documents. We
can discuss more on this if you're interested in seeing the code for
that actor.

> 2) Complex type web Services - Complex schema types ..accepting as
> XMLElements or Objects

Passing complex type web services is possible, but we didn't have a use
case that derives this functionality yet. So it is not there.

We chose not to pass objects between services as it is not very generic
and makes the web service client actors tightly-coupled. Did you need
this as a feature? Would be good to discuss on this.

> 	a) rpc
> 	b) doc literal
>
> give me a pointer where to look for more information

Unfortunately, the only information on the specifics of the
implementation is the code itself. :-/ I'd be happy to chat sometime on
Kepler irc channel or over the phone.

Cheers,
-ilkay