[kepler-users] Ecoinformatics CVS account - Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue May 17 16:31:50 PDT 2005

Hi Ralph,

    As you discovered, the procedure for adding actors to Kepler is
quite a bit different than for Ptolemy. (And, currently, not easy and
obvious.)  annotations.owl and ontology.owl are the key files for adding
to the actor list, but I suspect that your main problem is getting
Kepler to see the jar file you refer to. All jar files need to added to
the classpath. If you are running kepler from ant (using 'ant run-dev')
then placing your jar inside the $Kepler/lib/jar directory should make
it visible. Then just opening the appropriate workflow (*.xml file)
should work even if your actor is not present on Kepler's actor list. If
you use the .bat or .sh files, then your jar file must be explicitly
added to the classpaths in these files (I don't know what OS or version
your are using.) If you are using the 1.6alpha installers from the
Kepler web page, adding to the classpath is tricky and I suggest using
the .bat or .sh files.

    To add your actor to Keplers list, you can just right click on the
appropriate caregory in the actor tree and add it by entering the Java
class name if it is an atomic actor. Currenly, composite actors cannot
be added this way.

    Hopefully this info helps. If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Dan Higgins
NCEAS