[kepler-dev] Display name now supported in vergil

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 3 22:14:34 PDT 2007

I'm checking in a long overdue change so that vergil can now
support changing the "display name" of objects. Now, when select
Customize->Rename, you get a new field in the dialog box that
allows you to enter arbitrarily elaborate text to display instead
of the name.

I think this will be most useful with Modal Models, because now
the display name of a state can be more descriptive. For example:

Emacs!

In the above screen image, only the display name, and not
the name is shown in the states. I'm not sure this is really
what we want because the actions on the transitions refer
to the names of the destination states. It seems that if the
names are not shown, the diagram is hard to read. Comments?

This change required updating the MoML DTD, which is now at
version 1.4. The MoML for display name is as follows:

  <entity name="foo" class="classname">
    <display name="text to display in place of the name"/>
  </entity>

Christopher: Can you copy the file
  $PTII/ptolemy/moml/MoML_1.dtd
into the web version
  ptweb/xml/dtd/MoML_1.dtd

The change to the DTD is completely backward compatible,
so publishing the DTD on the web won't cause older versions
of Ptolemy to fail.

Edward

Edward A. Lee
Chair of EECS and Robert S. Pepper Distinguished Professor
231 Cory Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
phone: 510-642-0253, fax: 510-642-2845
eal at eecs.Berkeley.EDU, http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Faculty/Homepages/lee.html