[kepler-dev] Installation ?

Kenneth Evans, Jr. evans at aps.anl.gov
Sun Nov 4 08:58:41 PST 2007

Hi,

I now have a developer’s version of Kepler installed in Eclipse and pretty
much working (for me).  If I want to give this installation to a user, how
would I go about doing it?

We can assume the user would just want to run an executable to make
workflows, not do things like Ant or create actors.  That seems to be the
primary intended use of Kepler.

The beta3 downloadable version is pretty old, so the question is perhaps how
would I go about making a replacement of it with the current version and
with our stuff in it.  Perhaps there is an Ant target?

Part of the reason is that if we are going to use Kepler, I need to get
buy-in from the users.  This would mean letting them try it (without having
the problems I have had ;-).

I probably should say the anticipated use is for x-ray experiments and data
analysis at the Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory.  I am
in charge of scientific software development there, but not a user myself.

This is also for me.  I would like to develop it in one place but run and
test it elsewhere, probably on another platform, and without Eclipse.

Any other advice on how to present and promote Kepler to a set of users
would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

        -Ken