[kepler-dev] Installation ?

Timothy McPhillips tmcphillips at mac.com
Sun Nov 4 10:37:26 PST 2007

Hi Ken,

There are a number of questions to think about when deciding how to
distribute Kepler at APS.  (I worked in the macromolecular
crystallography group at SSRL for seven years and visited APS a
number of times.)

For example, who will be installing Kepler?  Your group?  Beam line
support staff?  Visiting users?  Will the scientists and engineers
supporting the beam lines need to develop new actors?  Will the APS
users need to take the software home with them after they collect
their data?  How many platforms do you need to support?  Will you be
providing a single set of actors and workflows to all users, or do
you need to customize the distribution for different users?  Will the
beam line support folks customize the distribution further, share
actors and workflows with each other, etc?

One simple approach for providing an identical distribution to all
users is to simply tar or zip up a working installation, and provide
instructions on where to unpack it on a target machine and how to set
the required environment variables.  You can also provide a custom
script for starting Kepler with class paths and so on set correctly.

One approach to extending Kepler that I have been playing around with
allows me to work on a number of different extensions to Kepler (sets
of workflows, actors and associated classes, and even trial
replacements for Kepler classes) in version-controlled directories
outside the Kepler distribution directory tree.  I added some custom
ant targets to my local copy of build.xml that copy files from the
extensions into the build directories after the standard sources are
copied there, such that ant integrates my extensions into Kepler at
build time.  This makes it easier to try my extensions with different
versions of Kepler on multiple machines, although I haven't worked
out all the bugs with this approach yet.

It's exciting to think about Kepler being used by the X-ray
community!  (I remember seeing a demo of a scientific workflow for
processing SAXS data, I think, at CHESS some years ago.)

Cheers,

Tim