[kepler-dev] Best practice for custom actor development

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 15 08:55:15 PDT 2007

Hi Ian,

The best way to create a kar file is to create a directory in the
src/actors area for your new actor.  It must have an actor metadata file
and a manifest.  Once you've done that, run 'ant buildkarlib' and the
kar files will be put in kepler/kar.  Your actor will then show up in
the actor library when you run kepler.  Note that the semanticAnnotation
tag in the actor metadata determines where the actor shows up in the
tree.  Once you are happy with your actor, you can then send the kar
file to other people who can then just drop it into their kepler/kar
directory and it should show up in the actor tree upon restart.  Let me
know if you need any other help.  We're available most of the day on our
#kepler IRC channel at irc.ecoinformatics.org.

chad