[kepler-dev] Best practice for custom actor development

ian.brown@hsbcib.com ian.brown at hsbcib.com
Wed Aug 15 09:38:38 PDT 2007

Hi Ilkay,
      I had seen that link in my browsing but I was hoping there would be a
way to create an actor without having to compile the entire system from
scratch. The link implies that I need to set up a development environment
for both ptolemy and kepler and compile both from cvs. That's quite a lot
of work to add a block.

At the moment I am trying to understand the differences between kepler and
ptolemy and from that hoping to decide which is better suited. I am
favouring kepler at the moment because it seems better integrated with R
and MATLAB and that's what our analysts use. Looking at the integration of
these though, it would be reasonably trivial to achieve the same
integration in ptolemy.

Is Kepler an extension to Ptolemy or is it a variant. In other words, if I
chose Kepler do I sacrifice some options or functionality that are present
in Ptolemy and if so, what are thet?
Would the best route for me be to first generate the Actor for Ptolemy and
then migrate it to Kepler - I think I read somewhere that I could use
Ptolemy actors in Kepler.

Thanks for you time,

Ian

HSBC Bank plc may be solicited in the course of its placement efforts for a
new issue, by investment clients of the firm for whom the Bank as a firm
already provides other services. It may equally decide to allocate to its
own proprietary book or with an associate of HSBC Group. This represents a
potential conflict of interest. HSBC Bank plc has internal arrangements
designed to ensure that the firm would give unbiased and full advice to the
corporate finance client about the valuation and pricing of the offering as
well as internal systems, controls and procedures to identify and manage
conflicts of interest.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.