[kepler-dev] eml2 dataources/memory problems in Kepler

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Sun Jan 8 17:44:12 PST 2006

Dan,

There are two problems:  The ecogrid get operation retrieves a byte[]
for the entire dataset.  This dataset is constituted into a single
byte[] before being buffered to disk.  Needless to say, this can be a
very large chunk of memory and since it's dynamically resized, you can
only imagine the thrashing the jvm needs to do.

After this byte[] is read into memory, in the alpha8 version of the
code, IIRC, the bytes continue to be held in memory even if they are not
really needed in that form.

The head version (which still has a couple of threading issues -- i have
a partially completed fix at work) no longer holds onto the byte[].
However, it does still require the byte[] for the ecogrid get
operation.  With this new revelation, I will rewrite the get client to
stream directly to disk.

I now have a copy of JProfiler and can run these same experiments with
more careful analysis of memory utilization.  What was your quick search
term, IPCC?

Thanks

Kevin