[kepler-dev] eml2 dataources/memory problems in Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Jan 8 15:12:26 PST 2006

Hi All,

    FYI, I was doing some tests with eml2 datasources using the new
alpha8 release version of Kepler. In particular, I was searching for
IPCC climate data and dragging the data sources to the work area. This
works pretty well on a new machine at the office with 2 GBytes of RAM
(Windows OS), but the time it takes for the datasource to turn from red
to yellow is VERY SLOW (tems of minutes) on a portable with only 512M of
RAM (especially if one tries to put 2 or more datasources in the work
area). [Note that such sources will work, given enough time, and once in
the cache, performance is reasonable.]

    If you watch the available memory readings in the Windows Task
Manager while waiting for the datasource to load, you can see the reason
for this slow performance. There is just not enough physical RAM on a
512Meg machine! Java is set to ask for 512M of RAM,  but it is thrashing
the disk (virtual memory) due to other processes using memory. If we
want to run Kepler on a 512M machines, it looks like we need to reduce
its memory requirements!

Dan Higgjns