[kepler-dev] Additional cleanup of icons for impending release.

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:30:30 PST 2006

 > If you want I can even have it fake the svgs into this jar
 > from kepler-docs and place them in the appropriate place in the jar.

That would be great, provided the build can be made *not* to fail if
someone does not have the kepler-docs directory checked out in the right
place (since the icons aren't yet enabled, and they will soon be moved).

Let's group the SVGs in an svg subdiretcory:

/svg/*.svg

and keep the actor thumbs path as-is:

/actorthumbs/*.gif

If you want to test, you can change the following line in
configs/ptolemy/configs/kepler/uiSettings.properties:

   SVG_ICON_BASE_PATH=../kepler-docs/dev/usability/graphics/svg/

to read:

   SVG_ICON_BASE_PATH=/svg/

...and it should all work seamlessly (*ahem*...)

thanks

Kevin Ruland wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> I'll change the build.xml so the icons are in a seperate jar file.  This
> will impact some other things like...  ptexecute or some such.  Can do
> that too.  If you want I can even have it fake the svgs into this jar
> from kepler-docs and place them in the appropriate place in the jar.
> That way, you can go ahead and change the paths in the properties file
> now, and not have to wait for the icons to be moved about.
>
> Kevin
>
> Matthew Brooke wrote:
>>
>> Kevin -
>>
>> The relative path to the SVG files is a temporary measure only. The
>> icon files have not yet been added to the kepler cvs module, since
>> they are not enabled by default, which, in turn, is because there is
>> an outstanding bug to reduce the SVG file sizes first ("outstanding",
>> as in "unfinished", not as in "wonderful"...).
>>
>> When the SVG files are reduced in size (currently ~130 files @ ~500kB
>> each), they can be added to the kepler tree, and their base path can
>> be changed by simply editing a setting in uiSettings.properties.
>>
>> The thumbnail icons are already added to the kepler-configs jar by the
>> build, which is why they already have a classpath-relative locator
>> (/actorthumbs/*-sm.gif) which is of the form you are suggesting.
>>
>> I do like your suggestion of having a dedicated icons jar - this would
>> enable users to swap out the entire icon set if they need to do so
>> (and if they have other icon sets available, of course...). I don't
>> know the build well enough to know what else is currently in the
>> kepler-configs.jar - maybe this is already a similar beast?
>>
>> Tim had volunteered to do the SVG file-size reduction, but he will be
>> unable to do it before 24th Feb. If anyone else has some free time to
>> do this before then, and some XSLT or Perl skills to show off, have at
>> it :-)

>> Kevin Ruland wrote:
>>> I noticed that the _svgIcon attribute is assigned some relative
>>> filename like:
>>>
>>> ../kepler-docs/dev/usability/graphics/svg/basic-actor.svg
>>>
>>> and the _thumbnailRasterIcon an absolute filename like:
>>>
>>> /actorthumbs/basic-actor-sm.gif
>>>
>>> I suspect these are both loaded use the class loader via
>>> getResourceAsStream() or something, but it makes sense to me that we
>>> distribute all these resources consistantly.  We should make a single
>>> jar ( kepler-icons.jar ?) which contains all of them and use some
>>> consistant naming like:
>>>
>>> /thumbs/basic-actor-sm.gif
>>> /svg/basic-actor.svg
>>>
>>> Or even:
>>>
>>> /basic-actor-sm.gif
>>> /basic-actor.svg
>>>
>>> If the names won't clash without the directory name.  I suspect the
>>> names do not clash.
>>>
>>> This has one additional benefit that to change all the icons, you
>>> just need to drop in a different jar.
>>>
>>> Kevin

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu