[kepler-dev] Why I can't work: a plea for stability

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 20 16:09:45 PDT 2006

Hi Mrs. Sivagowri Swaminathan,

Sorry about my confusion about your gender, I see I referred
to you as "he", but you sign as "Mrs.".  Anyway, my apologies.

At first I was a little confused about what changes you would like to
see in the Kepler docs, but I figure it out and updated the Kepler
wiki page.

You wrote:
>    Then as matt suggested in one of his emails to me, the images
>    were not getting loaded. so we need to add the images location in
>    the classpath entry in eclipse.

I tried adding kepler/lib/images as a ClassFolder to the BuildPath and
I got crazy errors about svg.  The solution was to fix the ptolemy
build path to include diva.util.java2d.svg and add the _kepler_ batik
jar file.  I updated the instructions with this.

Many thanks for the hint on the images.

It looks like setting up Ptolemy and Kepler for use inside Eclipse is
rather complex.  My recent diva change did not help with the complexity.

_Christopher
--------

    Hi Chris and everyone involved with the kepler project

    I wanted to write this email a bit earlier but was held up due to some
    assignments. I got the kepler code running by blindly following your
    description on the setting up kepler with eclipse page.

    I experienced a lot of difficulties in setting up the system, as I was an
    outsider without much knowledge about kepler system. But the problem with
    the documentation is that it works only by linking eclipse directly with
    CVS.
    If I downloaded the files from CVS and tried to set up the kepler project i
    eclipse, it kept complaining about null pointer exceptions, cacheManager wa
    trying to insert into a record with 5 colums into a table containing 4
    columns [cachecontentTable]...etc. That table is maintained in a remote
    database and nothing could be done about the error.
    so as such I kept flushing the project and refreshing from CVS about 10
    times per day.
    Finally it struck me to just blindly connect eclipse to cvs using the
    documentation and let eclipse decide whatever it wants to download.

    Miraculously it worked. kepler ran and it happened in a wink of time.
    I also completely deleted the .kepler directory in documents and
    settings\user folder.
    The documentation should be clear about which folder to linkto the project.
    Initially I thought that we need to link the ./kepler/kar directory.
    But then it was empty so after much thought I linked to the kepler\kar
    directory.

    That is currently the documenattion reads:

    <_ _ _ "On first execution, the kar archive files will be expanded into a
    hidden directory. On unix this directory is ~/.kepler/kar, and on Windows i
    is c:/Documents and Settings/USER/.kepler/kar. Immediately terminate Kepler
   .

    In Eclipse, open the Package Explorer with Window -> Show View -> Package
    Explorer. Right click on the Kepler project in the Package Explorer and
    select New->Folder. Name the folder "karclasses". Click on the Advanced
    button and check "Link to folder in the file system". Browse to the kar
    directory and click "Finish". _ _ _ >

    Instead,
    it should read, ignore/delete the kar directory found in the c:/Documents
    and Settings/USER/.kepler/kar directory and then Browse to the kar director
    found in the kepler download directory and click "Finish".

    The reason for confusion was that the ./kepler contained a cache dir, which

    made me think it conatins functionality relating to the cacheManager.

    Then as matt suggested in one of his emails to me, the images were not
    getting loaded. so we need to add the images location in the classpath entr
    in eclipse.

    But then finally I managed to get the kepler code running and also created
    custom actor.

    I also have the kepler exe installed and whenever I use kepler.exe in
    between running kepler from the devlopment environment, I noticed the
    database conflicts that christopher mentioned.
    Each time i had to delete the ./kepler directory and it works.

    Thanx for everyone who helped me in my ordeal.

    Mrs. Sivagowri Swaminathan