[kepler-dev] Why I can't work: a plea for stability

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:46:59 PDT 2006

I agree with Christopher's comments. Especially I support the idea of
customizing Kepler for not using all of the libraries at startup.

I'd like to explain a little bit more about the PAUPInfer actor since
I am the author. I checked in that actor yesterday afternoon. When
being loaded, that actor checks the existence of the directory
$KEPLER/lib/jar/cipres/dist/help/sampleFiles for initial setup. At
the first time I checked in that directory as an empty directory
since that can satisfy the requirements of the PAUPInfer actor. But
10 minutes later I realized that this empty directory may make
troubles on build if users update their working directories with "-
dPA" option. The "-dPA" option prunes any empty directory during
update, so the PAUPInfer actor reports an error since it cannot find
its default setting directory. As a workaround, I checked in a sample
input file in that directory at the second time.

Unfortunately anybody checked out/updated the Kepler between my two
check-ins would get an error like "cannot find readme.txt in the
directory ...". Matt reported that error on IRC. I think Christopher
might update his Kepler during the same time period. The Kepler build
should be ok now. If Eclipse gets any problem with that PAUPInfer
actor, please let me know. Sorry for broke the build at least for 10
minutes.

Next time I will try to check-in my code during the night, when less
developers check-in/out the CVS repository. In that case I can get
more time to check if I break the build. Hope that helps.

Zhijie