[kepler-dev] Reg. problem running kepler

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 12 09:01:57 PDT 2006

Hi Siva -

Don't want to step on Christopher's toes, but I know he's busy, and I
don't think this is a Ptolemy problem, so here goes...

I don't use Eclipse, but have seen similar problems with JBuilder. The
error message about "could not parse the argument '-kepler'" is
typically misleading, since the real cause is often something entirely
different, and you have to look further down the stacktrace for the real
problem. In your case, I see this:

  "...Caused by:
  java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.kepler.gui.LibraryPaneFactory..."

- so I'd check that org.kepler.gui.LibraryPaneFactory is indeed present
in your source directory, and has been compiled successfully to your
build directory, and that the build destination is on Eclipse's classpath.

(Since you had some manifest files missing, it sounds like you may have
an incomplete checkout of the kepler tree, so it would be worth
checking, if you didn't already)

Other problems like this have been caused for me by:

1)  not having the configuration files in the IDE classpath, too. My
current classpath additions for config files and other resources are as
follows:

/Users/brooke/dev/KEPLER/kepler
/Users/brooke/dev/KEPLER/kepler/lib
/Users/brooke/dev/KEPLER/kepler/lib/images
/Users/brooke/dev/KEPLER/kepler/configs

Try adding those in Eclipse if you didn't already

2) by the (yourHomeDirectory)/.kepler directory being corrupt/out of
date/otherwise wrong. To fix this, you can delete the
(yourHomeDirectory)/.kepler directory, the kepler/build directory, and
also the kepler/kar directory, and then do an "ant buildkarlib run-dev"

Good luck!

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu