[kepler-dev] R in Kepler on Mac OS X

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 11 20:38:10 PDT 2006

Hey Dan -

I tried an R workflow (kepler/workflows/R/R_output_example.xml) on the
mac, and after a bit of messing, got it to work as follows:

1) (first I made sure I'd installed R and it was in the path)

2) I started X11, and got an xterm, then typed:

echo $DISPLAY

...and it showed:

:1.0

(I typed:

  xlogo (return)

to make sure it appeared on the current display

3) ...so then I opened the mac Terminal, and did:

export DISPLAY=:1.0

(NOTE - this is different from the "localhost:0.0" in the instructions -
I basically changed the Mac DISPLAY value to match the X11 one)

4) Finally, I started kepler in the Terminal (ant run-dev), opened the
workflow and it ran OK

I'm cc'ing this to kepler-dev, too, in case anyone tries to search for
it in future (or in case I forget ;-)

cheers