[kepler-dev] Duplicate Jar information

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Fri Aug 12 14:22:06 PDT 2005

Hi all.

Since I'm the new guy, and struggled to make a working eclipse build, I
decided to share some of the information I've gathered.

I went through all the jars in lib/jars to look for blatent duplicates
and this is what I found:

activation.jar .           - Probably JAF 1.0.2 build by jdk 1.3
activation.jar ./jwsdp     - Probably JAF 1.0.2 built by jdk 1.4.2_05

commons-logging.jar .              - 1.0.3
commons-logging.jar ./jwsdp        - 1.0.3
commons-logging.jar ./sms          - 1.0.3

jax-qname.jar .          - Version ??  (jdk 1.3.1_04)
jax-qname.jar ./jwsdp    - Version 1.1 (jdk 1.4.1_02)

log4j-1.2.7.jar .
log4j-1.2.8.jar .

namespace.jar .            - Version ?? (jdk 1.3.1_04)
namespace.jar ./jwsdp      - Version 1.0.1

relaxngDatatype.jar .              - Version ?? (jdk 1.4.1_02)
relaxngDatatype.jar ./jwsdp        - Version ?? (jdk 1.4.1_02)

xalan.jar ./apache          - Version 2.4.0
xalan.jar ./jwsdp           - Version 2.6.0

xercesImpl.jar ./jwsdp  - from manifest Xerces 2.6.2
xercesImpl.jar ./sms    - from manifest Xerces 2.6.1   ( This one jena
works with - perhaps it's an older jena?).

xmlsec.jar ./ecogrid_client_lib    - Version 1.0.4
xmlsec.jar ./jwsdp                 - Version 1.1.0

xsdlib.jar .                       - Version ?? (jdk 1.3.1_04)
xsdlib.jar ./jwsdp                 - Version ?? (Ant 1.6.2)

There are some bookkeeping which I have found very useful in previous
large projects:

- Rename the jars.  If a 3rd party jar is needed, rename the jar with
the version number.  So for example, rename xercesImpl.jar to
xercesImpl-2.6.2.jar  This makes it completely obvious what the version
is (and people like me don't need to dig through manifests.)

- Use version named directories for larger packages.  jwsdk (Java Web
Services Developer Pack)  has had numerous releases.  Create a directory
say jwsdk-1.5 and put only the jwsdk1-5 jars inside.  It appears that
there is one version of jwsdp (in it's own directory) and another whos
contents has been put in lib/jar

- Seperate runtime/buildtime jars from code generation jars.  What I
mean here is something like jaxb.  It has a very large code-generation
piece (jaxb-xjc, jaxb-qname, relaxng, and others) which are only needed
to generate the bound java classes.  Then it has a supporting cast
(jaxb-api, jaxb-impl, jaxb-libs) which is required for build and
runtime.  The runtime jars are needed by ant when the source is compiled
and executed, but the cg jars are only needed to generate source.

- Don't mix logical units.  It sees the jwsdp directory is a combination
of JWSDP (as distributed by sun, which version, I don't know), apache
xerces/commons, and some mystery sun jar (PackageFormat.jar).

- Know your target audience.  The xml-apis.jar is very notable.  This
jar is only needed when building with jdk 1.2 or earlier.  jdk1.3 and
newer included it in rt.jar.  I believe we're targeting jdk 1.4 and
therefore this jar is not needed at all.

Kevin