[kepler-dev] Duplicate Jar information

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 12 14:57:28 PDT 2005

Hi Kevin,
       Thanks a lot for compiling this information. (and the suggestions).

    Almost all of the duplications are apparently the result of adding
the /jswp dir to the jars folder. I think this was done recently by
jagan to get the 'griddles' package working. This jar duplication
creates a problem that we haven't yet solved. Changing the jar name to
include the version is a great idea, but it doesn't help the problem of
duplicate class names inside the jar. You might have noticed that we
already add a command line arg to java in the 'run' and 'run-dev' tasks
in ant to place one set of jars in the  jave 'endorsed' directory to
insure it is linked first.

i.e. <jvmarg value="-Djava.endorsed.dirs=./lib/jar/apache"/>

This was removed by jagan to get his griddles package working, but
removing it breaks all the ecogrid packages! (So it is back in the build
file for now.) [In this case, we are overriding classes distributed with
Java.]

I am not sure how we are going to keep everyone happy considering these
versioning issues. The KSW packages that Chad is working on will solve
some of the problems in that jars needed only by specific actors will be
pulled out of our huge classpath list and included in the *.ksw packages
(i.e. included with the actor code). The number of jars used by Kepler
itself should be significantly reduced. We are also going to need to get
dynamic class loading (and unloading) working to allow multiple versions
of classes with the same names to be used.

Dan

----

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127