[kepler-dev] closing files in workflows

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 29 14:43:35 PST 2004

Hi All,

    I just spent some time trying to integrate the baseline GARP
workflow with Rod's Digir source example for occurence data. I found
that the integrated workflow (now in
workflows/eco/garpModel_ImageJ_withData.xml) worked OK when I was
running it with 'Animate Execution' turned on with a 2 sec delay, but
crashed Kepler when run without animation. I traced the problem down to
the FileWrite actor. It's output gets fired before the file is actually
closed. (It was closed in the 'wrapup' method rather than the 'postfire'
method where the file name is output.) Adding the file.close before the
output fixed the problem.

    So, the lesson seems to be that if we are using files for
trasmitting data in a workflow, we must make sure the file is closed
before handing it off to the next actor in a workflow!

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531
735 State Street - Room 205