'Look Inside' (was Re: [kepler-dev] Re: Ptolemy II 4.0.1 is available for download)

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Thu Aug 5 12:57:16 PDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:

> In the mid/long run, I think it will be good to have a set of higher
> order actors (as mentioned before, e.g. by Edward).

Something tangentially related:  On most actors, the 'Look Inside'
function will give you the Java source to that actor.  But on some actors,
like PythonScript and some of the higher order actors, 'Look Inside' will
show you the python code or the encapsulated model.  That's fine, but as
far as I can tell, it means that you can't tell what the actor actually is
without looking at the MoML file!

Perhaps it would be appropriate to have separate 'Look Inside Java Actor'
and 'Look Inside...' options so that the user can indicate what degree of
dereferencing is desired.

Other possibilities would be to have a 'Properties...' context menu option
that would give us the name of the underlying Java class (with "See
code..." and "See Javadoc..." buttons) and/or the MoML code used it
instantiate it.

Tobin