[kepler-dev] Re: Ptolemy II 4.0.1 is available for download

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 5 11:24:14 PDT 2004

Hi Xiaowen,

IterateOverArray was dropped from the release, you could try putting
the actor to be applied between ArrayToSequence and SequenceToArray.
You might need to do this inside a SDF composite actor.

Good idea, I'll see about folding StringReverse in to the Ptolemy II
tree.

-Christopher

--------

    Hi Christopher,

    Thanks for releasing Ptolemy II 4.0.1!  I look forward to trying the
    context menu fix for Linux and the Mac.

    1.  I noticed that the IterateOverArray actor was removed in 4.0.1 and I
    didn't see a note about why that was done.  I've already started using
    that actor in my workflows, so I'm sad to see it go.  Will you tell me
    what happened to it?  Has it been renamed or moved to a different location?

    2.  I'm happy to see the addition of actors in the
    ptolemy.actor.lib.string package.  String operations are very useful in
    workflows, and I've been using the expression language to accomplish a
    lot of this.  For example, I've used <string>.length() to get the string
    length instead of the StringLength actor.  Using real actors instead of
    an expression actor may be more readable.  I'd like to suggest that
    Ptolemy II include a StringReverse actor as well.  I wrote one and
    checked it into the Kepler repository at
    src/org/sdm/spa/StringReverse.java.  Reversing a string was not
    something I could figure out how to do with the expression language
    because I couldn't find a method in the Java String class API to help
    with it.  Will you please include something like this in the next release?

    Thanks!
    Xiaowen