[kepler-dev] Re: Ptolemy II 4.0.1 is available for download

xiaowen xiaowen at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 4 17:41:45 PDT 2004

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for releasing Ptolemy II 4.0.1!  I look forward to trying the
context menu fix for Linux and the Mac.

1.  I noticed that the IterateOverArray actor was removed in 4.0.1 and I
didn't see a note about why that was done.  I've already started using
that actor in my workflows, so I'm sad to see it go.  Will you tell me
what happened to it?  Has it been renamed or moved to a different location?

2.  I'm happy to see the addition of actors in the
ptolemy.actor.lib.string package.  String operations are very useful in
workflows, and I've been using the expression language to accomplish a
lot of this.  For example, I've used <string>.length() to get the string
length instead of the StringLength actor.  Using real actors instead of
an expression actor may be more readable.  I'd like to suggest that
Ptolemy II include a StringReverse actor as well.  I wrote one and
checked it into the Kepler repository at
src/org/sdm/spa/StringReverse.java.  Reversing a string was not
something I could figure out how to do with the expression language
because I couldn't find a method in the Java String class API to help
with it.  Will you please include something like this in the next release?

Thanks!
Xiaowen