[Roundtable] Reminder! NCEAS Roundtable: Alisan Armhein

Mary Hunsicker hunsicker at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 22 12:33:41 PDT 2014

Dear All,

Please join us for an NCEAS Roundtable tomorrow (Wednesday, April 23rd)
at 12:15 pm.

Alisan Amrhein
Master's Candidate, Bren School of Environmental Science and Management

will present a seminar on:

"Offshore wind energy in the context of multiple ocean uses on the
Bermuda platform"**

Abstract:**Bermuda has established a set of policies to reduce its
fossil fuel dependence, increase energy security, and reduce per capita
greenhouse gas emissions.  To achieve these goals, the Government of
Bermuda is considering offshore wind energy development on the Bermuda
Platform. Through an analysis of wind data and energy development costs,
we determined that the estimated levelized cost of offshore wind energy
is significantly lower than the current electricity price paid by
consumers, suggesting that offshore wind energy is an economically
feasible option for Bermuda.  Minimizing the impact of offshore wind
turbines on existing ocean uses and marine habitat necessitates the use
of marine spatial planning in deciding the location for an offshore wind
farm.  We used spatially explicit data on existing ocean uses and marine
habitat to create a model that identifies areas of low risk of impact
and simulates wind turbine placement scenarios.  Our demonstration of
this model shows it's utility as a visualization and negotiation tool in
a transparent multi-stakeholder planning process, enabling
decision-makers to minimize socioeconomic and ecological impacts while
achieving wind energy goals.

Project Team Members: Alisan Amrhein, Darrell Gregg, Tinya Hoang, Rahul
Madhusudanan, and Casey O'Hara

Everyone is welcome to attend.

------
Roundtable meetings are held in the NCEAS lounge at the National Center
for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, 735 State Street, Suite 300
(Directions <http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/contact>).