[kepler-users] Job: TerraSwarm SwarmOS Software Engineer position now open

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 11 16:39:47 PDT 2014

TerraSwarm is hiring!

TerraSwarm (http://www.terraswarm.org) is the project that is being led
by Prof. Edward A. Lee.

> The TerraSwarm Research Center, launched on January 15, 2013, is
> addressing the huge potential (and associated risks) of pervasive
> integration of smart, networked sensors and actuators into our
> connected world. The center is funded by the STARnet phase of the
> Focus Center Research Program (FCRP) administered by the Semiconductor
> Research Corporation (SRC). Funding comes from the Defense Advanced
> Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the SRC industry partners,
> including Applied Materials, GLOBALFOUNDRIES, IBM, Intel Corporation,
> Micron Technology, Raytheon, Texas Instruments, and United Technologies.

We are looking for a Software Engineer to implement the SwarmOS.

The position is open now, I hope to have someone in place by the end of
May.

The position requires being on site here at Berkeley.

In theory, this position could use Ptolemy II to model portions of the
SwarmOS.

Please feel free to distribute this widely

To apply, see http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/employment/applicant

R&D Engineer 4 (0442U)

Job ID:     17531

*About Berkeley*
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most
iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has
fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual,
economic and social value in California, the United States and the
world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance---academic
and artistic, political and cultural---make it a very special place for
students, faculty and staff.

Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in
a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our
faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position
at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the
alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for
success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.

*Application Review Date*
The First Review Date for this job is:  Immediate Review

*Departmental Overview*
The purpose of this job is to apply modern Software Engineering
techniques to assist in the design of and lead the implementation of the
SwarmOS, which is the software system needed for by the TerraSwarm
Research Center.

The TerraSwarm Research Center is addressing the huge potential (and
associated risks) of pervasive integration of smart, networked sensors
and actuators into our connected world. TerraSwarm consists of 22
faculty at 9 institutions and is funded by the Semiconductor Research
Center (SRC) and DARPA.

In a TerraSwarm system, swarmlets compete for a variety of resources,
including sensors, actuators, networks, computing resources, storage,
energy, and wireless spectrum. To unleash the creativity of millions of
swarmlet developers, we need to create a stable architecture that can
dynamically balance the competing needs of distributed concurrent
applications so that functionality, robustness, utility, and quality of
service are guaranteed. We call the systems support for this adaptive,
resource-aware architecture the "SwarmOS," a highly distributed
infrastructure that touches every node in the system. Its purpose is to
efficiently allocate resources based on complex optimization strategies,
while maintaining appropriate security and privacy.

This position designs, develops, modifies, tests, evaluates and
maintains a collection of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and
computer programs in a variety of languages and technologies using
modern Software Engineer techniques including rapid prototyping,
test-to-production processes, quality assurance (via test plans),
maintenance (via nightly builds and static analysis tools) and
documentation of APIs.

The tasks performed by this position are of strategic importance to the
center and provide an excellent opportunity to fundamentally influence
the design and implementation of a ground-breaking set of APIs to be
used throughout the center and beyond.  As an open source project,
SwarmOS is likely to have considerable impact in the post Web 2.0 world.

*Responsibilities*

25%  Applies advanced applications programming concepts to designs,
develop, modifies, debug and evaluate highly complex Application Program
Interfaces (APIs) for researchers.

10%  Functions as project manager for complex engineering assignments.

10%  Represents the unit and/or Principal Investigator to whom they are
responsible at meetings and conferences in matters related to
engineering design considerations and financial requirements.

10%  Interacts with technical personnel at all levels including faculty,
postdocs, students and staff.

10%  Trains users in conversion and implementation of system in the use
and extension of the SwarmOS.

10%   Prepares and obtains approval of system and programming
documentation using technology such as LaTeX and Doxygen.

10%  Implements and maintains the nightly build system using COTS
technology like Jenkins.

10%  Develops and executes complex test plans at both the unit level and
the system level using COTS technology like Junit/PowerMock and TestNG.

5%   Initiates and recommends changes in development, maintenance and
system standards.
*
**Required Qualifications*
**Advanced knowledge associated with the planning, development, and
construction of software engineering systems.
**Advanced knowledge of specialized design work as well as the overall
field.
**Strong creativity and problem solving abilities to apply principles,
practices and procedures within discipline to complete difficult
assignments.
**Strong project management skills needed to assume responsibility for
accomplishment of research objectives.
**Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey
complex information in a clear and concise manner.
**Advanced interpersonal and presentation skills.
**Ability to work in a highly collaborative manner; readily assess
complex challenges and barriers and recommend effective resolutions.
**Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and influence others.
**Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and
implementation .
**Must have advanced skills in web applications, web programming
language and object oriented programming concepts.
**Advanced experience with network protocols and architectural styles
such as JSON, SOAP and REST.
**Advanced level Object Oriented programming skills using Java and C/C++.
**Excellent and proven ability to develop robust, readable code in a
large project.
**Advanced experience in the development of unit and system tests using
COTS technology like Junit with PowerMock and TestNG.
**Advanced experience using COTS continuous integration tools such as
Hudson/Jenkins.
**Advanced experience integrating code written by others.
**Advanced experience cleaning code using formatter's and static
analysis tools.
**Intermediate level knowledge and experience with Ant, Subversion,
shell scripting under Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
**Excellent written and verbal communications via email, documentation
and code comments.
**Intermediate ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner via
the spoken word in small, medium and large groups in the form of
teleconferences, presentations and software reviews.
**Must be self motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able
to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
**Ability to travel to TerraSwarm partner campuses and industrial
sponsors to provide training.

*Preferred Qualifications*
* Intermediate experience with Scala.
* Proven experience working on open source projects.
* Fully functional experience with Agile development.
* Fully functional experience in determining the reusability of open and
closed source third party software on the basis of licensing and
maintainability.
* Masters degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
in software development.
* Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
* No licenses or certificates are required, though Java certification,
Project Mangement certifcation and Agile Project Management
certification are preferred.

*Salary & Benefits*
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the
University visit:

http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/forms_pubs/misc/benefits_of_belonging.pdf

*****The salary range designated for this position:  $80,100 - $118,900;
however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience*****

*How to Apply*
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when
applying.

See http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/employment/applicant

R&D Engineer 4 (0442U)
Job ID:     17531
*
**Equal Employment Opportunity*
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, or veteran status.

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)