[kepler-users] actors do not fire

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 21 08:13:57 PDT 2013

Hi Vickie,
Without a small test case, it is hard to say why this would happen and
creating a small test case is probably difficult.

You could try right clicking on the Ramp and selecting listen to entity,
which will bring up a dialog that shows the status of the actor.  It is
also possible to listen to the director and other actors.

It sounds like the model is stuck between initialize() and prefire().
One common failure mode in PN is that a port writes data that is never
read.  This should cause an error message after a few seconds when the
buffer reaches more than 65536 tokens. This value is settable in the PN
Director.

A reading of the Process Networks chapter of the Ptolemy book might
help.  The book is:
Claudius Ptolemaeus, Editor, System Design, Modeling, and Simulation
Using Ptolemy II, Ptolemy.org, 2014.

The chapters are available separately at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/books/Systems/chapters/

Using a debugger and looking at the prefire() method in
ptolemy.actor.process.CompositeProcessDirector might also help.

_Christopher

On 10/21/13 7:07 AM, Lynch, Vickie E. wrote:
> Hi,
> My workflow will stop working for a reason I do not understand.  When I listen to the actors, all of them will just have called preinitialize and initialize, but none call prefire or fire.  If I start deleting cache, logging out, etc it eventually starts running again, but I am never sure what I did to get it started again.  The first actor is Ramp and it does not fire when the workflow does nothing, but executing is written in the bottom corner.   I am using the PN Director and the latest version of kepler from svn.  Any idea what I am doing that could cause this?
>

> Vickie E. Lynch
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory, PO Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6454
> (865)250-4795, Bldg. 8600, Room C-509-F, MS6454, lynchve at ornl.gov

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)