[kepler-users] Problems running workflows with newer revisions

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:05:31 PST 2013

Jonathan,
As Edward wrote, a small example would help.

One thing to would be to try the brute force method of determining what
change or changes caused the problem.
The way to do this is to do a binary search of the tree by checking out
different versions and testing them.  It can take awhile, but the amount
of actual effort is low.

If you are using only actors that are in Ptolemy II and you are not
using Kepler-only actors, then you could export your model as MoML,
verify that the model works in r64636 of Ptolemy II and fails in r65658
and then check out an intermediate version of Ptolemy II.
(65658-64636)/2+64636 = 65147
I would do this with
   svn co -r 65147 https://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/svn/chess/ptII/trunk
ptII.65147
   cd ptII.65147
   export PTII=`pwd`
   ./configure
   ant
Then rerun the model and try either an earlier or later version and
repeat the above.

You could also look at the ChangeLog for the ptII tree at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/ChangeLog.txt

You could also try diffing ptolemy/directors/pn between the version that
worked and the version that failed.

If your tree uses Kepler actors, then you will need to use the Kepler
build system to check out different versions of Kepler. Offhand, I'm not
sure how to do that.

_Christopher

On 2/13/13 8:20 PM, Edward A. Lee wrote:

> This sounds like a threading bug.
> If you would like to know how I feel about threads, read this:
>
> http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/06/problemwithThreads/
>
> If you are using only built-in actors, then it really would be great
> to have reproducible example. And I would really like to fix it. If
> you have custom actors, then we probably can't help...
>
> Without a reproducible example, threading bugs are impossible to fix.
> (sometimes even with a reproducible example they are impossible to fix).
> Threads are a _really bad_ concurrency model. Sadly, they dominate
> concurrency today...
>
> Edward
>
> On 2/13/13 2:33 PM, Jonathan Boright wrote:
>> Dear Kepler users,
>>
>> We have been using kepler for a while now and have developed a number
>> of fairly large and complex workflows. We recently updated kepler and
>> have found that our old workflows 'hang' after only a short time
>> (less than a minute). As far as I can tell they don't always hang in
>> the same spot. We have been trying to create a model to post on this
>> forum that demonstrates this behavior, but as soon as we pare the
>> model down to a size small enough to post and strip out our
>> customized code... they tend to work fine. So in lieu of an example
>> model I'll attempt to describe the strucure of our models, the
>> symptoms, and some avenues that we have used to try and narrow down
>> the issues.
>>
>> Our old models run in the following svn revision(s):
>> svn info details:
>> Working Copy Root Path: /cygdrive/c/Kepler/svn/[build-area etc.]
>> Revision: 30654
>> Working Copy Root Path: /cygdrive/c/Kepler/svn/ptolemy/src
>> Revision: 64636
>>
>> They 'hang' when run in the following revision(s)
>> svn info details:
>> Working Copy Root Path: /cygdrive/c/Kepler/svn/build-area
>> Revision: 31428 - 31431 (current)
>> Working Copy Root Path: /cygdrive/c/Kepler/svn/ptolemy/src
>> Revision: *65654 - *65658 (current)
>>
>> I'll describe one particular model as an example:
>> The workflow is a hydrlogic model which has the following attributes:
>> - a PN director.
>> - the most comon token is a double matrix token ([double]) of size
>> 360x270.
>> - many composite actors, some with sdf directors (opaque) and some
>> without directors (transparant).
>> - an opaque composite actor made into a class object with many (~30?)
>> instances of this class.
>> - multiple Nondeterministic Merge actors (to re-use tokens)
>>
>> When this model is run in newer revisions, it runs for a bit (usually
>> less than 1 minute) and then just stops going forwards... no error
>> messages... just hung. When we then attempt to stop the model it
>> gives the message "wrapping up" but hangs there. Sometimes I'm able
>> to close the window, sometimes I need to kill kepler throught the
>> task-manager...

> [...]

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670