[kepler-users] Multiple users run multiple workflows on shared computer

Marcin Plociennik marcinp at man.poznan.pl
Wed Aug 7 06:01:05 PDT 2013

Hi,

We have similar case, as you have and but we are running Kepler 2.3.
Please find below what is our procedure, that works for our
applications/users.
I'm convinced others might give you better way to do it.

1. We are using central installation of the Kepler on the machine
2. We generate unique value for location of each instance of Kepler
running for each user
export HOME=$USER_HOME/kepler_tmp/${UNIQUE_VALUE}
export KEPLER_NEW_HOME=${HOME}/${KEPLER_SHADOW_DIR_NAME}
3. We do symbolic links to the central installation in that temporary
directory

4. We change configuration files to prevent mulitple kepler instances
from using the same hsql DB
(every single instance of kepler will be using separated hsql database
file)
(/common-2.3.0/resources/configurations/configuration.xml)
(/core-2.3.0/resources/configurations/configuration.xml )

5. We replace all necessary jars with provided kepler.jar with a patch
(there was one line needed to be patched in 2.3, I think it is not the
case for 2.4, but I'm not sure)

6. We run each instance of Kepler like that:
java -D"user.home"="${HOME}" -classpath
${KEPLER_NEW_HOME}/build-area/lib/ant.jar:${KEPLER_NEW_HOME}/kepler.jar
org.kepler.build.runner.Kepler -runwf -nogui ${PARAMETERS} -dir_path
${CURRENT_DIR}/ -nocache ${CURRENT_DIR}/${WORKFLOW_LOCATION} >&
${CURRENT_DIR}/kepler.log

I hope this will help you.

regards
Marcin Plociennik

--
              Marcin Plociennik
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center

61-704 Poznan, ul. Noskowskiego 10 POLAND
phone (+48 61) 8582181
e-mail: marcinp at man.poznan.pl