[kepler-users] Issue while creating long list of parameters for an actor

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 22 15:03:12 PDT 2012

Hi Michal,
It turns out that under Mac OS X 10.7.3, the early access Java
1.7.0_04-ea was the root of the problem I was seeing.

Under Mac OS X 10.7.3 with Java 1.6.0_29, and the Kepler devel trunk, I
don't have a problem.

Under Mac OS X 10.7.3 with Java 1.6.0_29 and Kepler-2.3, I can reproduce
the problem with:
1) ant run
2) File -> Open, browse to CompositeActor.kar
3) Right click on the Composite Actor, select "Configure Actor"
4) In the Edit Parameters window, click Add, enter "test27", then click OK
5) Repeat until test49.

So yes, the bug appears in Kepler-2.3, but is fixes in the devel trunk.
I'm unsure what you mean when you write:
> Is it possible to fix this issue inside trunk?
as the problem is already fixed in the trunk.  Do you mean that you
would like to see Kepler-2.3 patched to fix this problem?

http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/ChangeLog.txt lists
the changes for the ptII tree.

Possible changes of interest are:

	* [r62948] /trunk/ptolemy/actor/gui/PtolemyQuery.java,
	  /trunk/ptolemy/gui/Query.java: fixed problem with text areas in
	  dialogues that had minimum row heights after last change

	* [r62941] /trunk/ptolemy/gui/ComponentDialog.java,
	  /trunk/ptolemy/gui/Query.java: allow for resizing of editing
	  dialogues

	* [r62938] /trunk/ptolemy/actor/gui/PtolemyQuery.java: Increase
	  vertical size of text area for editing parameters from 1 to 2 in
	  order to allow for editing parameters where the text length
	  exceeds the display area without hiding the text under the
	  scrollbar. (There might be a nicer fix to this that dynamically
	  changes the size from 1 to 2 when needed)

	* [r62941] /trunk/ptolemy/gui/ComponentDialog.java,
	  /trunk/ptolemy/gui/Query.java: allow for resizing of editing
	  dialogues

I'm not sure if any of the above changes fix the problem present in
Kepler-2.3, but it is a starting point.

However, one issue is that the Kepler-2.3 tree does not have the updates
to the file chooser that under Mac OS use java.awt.FileDialog instead of
java.swing.JFileBrowser.  Back porting these changes to the Ptolemy II
kepler-2.3 branch would be quite time consuming.

_Christopher