[kepler-users] About creating a custom actor and using it.

Bina Philip binabhas at umail.iu.edu
Tue Mar 6 09:45:13 PST 2012

Hello,

I wanted to know how the over-all process of creating a custom actor would
work. If I were to make a custom actor in kepler then according to the
documentation I would have to check out the code in the trunk for kepler
and then after creating a module for my actor I would have to start coding
for my actor (like mentioned in the HelloWorld example). If I have some
additional external jars I need for this actor of mine I just import those
external jars into my module's build path and start coding for my actor.
Please correct my understanding if I am incorrect until this point.

Now after this I had a question from the Users perspective, if there is
another member in my team who download Kepler to use it (without any source
code check out etc) and wants to use the actor I just created for Kepler.
How can he/she use this actor and gain access to this?

I also wanted to know the contents of the kar file does this contain any
modules within it that have the jars related to that kar? When somebody
tries to open a kar file in kepler what goes on in the background while the
workflow runs? How are the jars related to this kar identified from within
the workflow system? I am trying to see if I can make a custom actor and
supply my team member with a kar file for the actor, can he/she import this
kar file in kepler and run this actor (without getting any source code
checked out and adding any additional jars?)

Kindly let me know.

Best

--
Regards,