[kepler-users] Kepler -nogui execution without X11GraphicsEnvironment

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 26 13:54:16 PDT 2012

BTW - It should be possible to invoke Kepler without a display.  This
has been done in the past and is covered elsewhere

However, when I need to invoke Ptolemy with a display on a headless
machine, I use Xvfb, which is a virtual framebuffer.
By starting up Xvfb and then setting the DISPLAY, I'm able to run 350+
demos and export the results to HTML.

1. Install Xvfb on your machine
     yum install Xvfb
2. Start up the display
    Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x24 &
    export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0

I've done this under Linux and Solaris.

_Christopher

On 4/26/12 1:43 PM, Ramón Pérez Pérez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that it is possible that there are new modules to download for
> your version, and for this reason the execution (too in command line)
> tries to launch the X11. We changed the configuration.xml in
> kepler_2.2/module-manager-2.2.0/resources/configurations as follow:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <config>
>
> <releaseLocation>
> https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/released/
> </releaseLocation>
>
> <check-for-patches>false</check-for-patches>
>
> </config>
>
> Best,
> Ramón
>
> --
> Ramón Pérez Pérez
> Centro Andaluz de Medio Ambiente, Universidad de Granada - Junta de
> Andalucía
> Avda. del Mediterráneo S/N. 18006. Granada. España
> email:ramon at ugr.es <mailto:ramon at ugr.es>
> Blog:http://rpperez.blogspot.com <http://rpperez.blogspot.com/>
> Fax: +34 958137246
> Tel: +34 958241000 (ext. 31202)
>
> El 26/04/2012, a las 21:22, Matt Jones escribió:
>
>> Albert --
>>
>> Did you try running the command line shell with the -nogui and -runwf
>> arguments? Something like:
>>
>> kepler.sh -nogui -runkar /home/mbj/myworkflow.kar
>>
>> The location of kepler.sh will vary by platform, but if you get it on
>> your path, then you should be good to go.  More details are here:
>>
>> https://kepler-project.org/developers/reference/executing-kepler-from-the-command-line
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Albert Vilà Picas
>> <albertvilapicas at gmail.com <mailto:albertvilapicas at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     We're trying to execute Kepler from command line on a Server
>>     without -X fordwarding.
>>     Running kar workflows without display actors we have
>>     a ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException:
>>
>>          [null] Because:
>>          [null] Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
>>          [null] at ptolemy.actor.Manager.execute(Manager.java:485)
>>          [null] at ptolemy.actor.Manager.run(Manager.java:1159)
>>          [null] at
>>     ptolemy.actor.Manager$PtolemyRunThread.run(Manager.java:1689)
>>          [null] Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not
>>     initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
>>
>>     1. Then, there is a special Kepler for a Server-side?
>>     2. Can we disable the ptolemy java gui without JAVAFLAGS or
>>     the -Djava.awt.headless=true for headless gui exec?
>>     3. Maybe only redirecting the X11 DISPLAY to a null or fake xhost
>>     we can solve it?
>>
>>     Thanks again,
>>     --albert

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670