[kepler-users] R installation for Kepler 1.0.0 on Windows (bis)

Derik Barseghian barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jan 28 12:12:11 PST 2011

Hi Jean,

I think you have a problem with your R installation, or PATH.

I tried to replicate your problem on an XP machine but am unable. I have R 2.10.1 installed. The end of my PATH variable looks like:
[other variables...];C:\Program Files\R\R-2.10.1\bin;

I am not using quotes or shortnames, nor do I have an additional path to an i386 directory like you do.

Instead of trying Rgui, a better test is simply R --version or R from the command line, since R is the executable actually used by Kepler. If neither of these works, you have a problem with your R installation, and I recommend looking into that, or trying to reinstall R. You say when you typed R nothing visible happened...that's a bad sign. Command Prompt should have given your *some* response--you should have seen R startup text and been placed at an R prompt, or an error message about the command not being recognized.

Regarding 2.x being buggy, please encourage your colleagues to submit bugs (http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org/) or simply email us bug reports. We need to be made aware of bugs to fix them.

2.2 is not yet available. I hope it will be released in the next few weeks.
I think it would be a mistake to use Kepler 1.0 instead of the current release, 2.1.

Kepler 2.0 is an executable jar file:
https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/installers/2.0/Kepler-2.0-win.jar
Maybe your browser changed the file extension. You may rename the extension from zip to jar and then double-click the jar install. After installing 2.0, you may upgrade to 2.1 using the module manager. Instructions for this are on the downloads page:
https://kepler-project.org/users/downloads

Hope this helps!
Derik