[kepler-users] Where to go with the problems of internationalization or how create account into forum?

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 17 10:56:46 PDT 2009

In addition to what Chad said, a group in Japan worked on internationalizing
Kepler for scientists in Japan (contact Akiko Ogawa on this list).  They
might be interested in contributing to improvements that allow for general
internationalization.  They also found it was useful to translate the
documentation before translating the application, and so they produced a
Japanese translation of the Kepler Getting Started Guide, which can be
downloaded from the Kepler web site here:
   https://kepler-project.org/users/documentation

I think it would be fantastic to build an internationalization layer into
Kepler that allows it to easily be used in different languages.  Once the
new configuration system is in place, this should be easier than it would be
today.  Nevertheless, it will be a lot of work to factor out all of the
English UI elements into resource files and replace them with other language
resource bundles.  Any help you might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Chad Berkley <berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu>wrote:

> Hi Anatoly,
>
> Thanks for your interest in Kepler.  We are in the middle of a redesign of
> our configuration system that will hopefully make it easier to
> internationalize Kepler in the future.  Right now, there is no easy way to
> do it.  The interface messages and resources are spread all over the code
> base due to legacy designs.  We're hoping to change this after we get the
> new configuration system in place and release Kepler 2.0.  We are hoping to
> get 2.0 out by November, but we don't have a specific timeline yet as we are
> still working on some major bugs and functionality enhancements.
>
> If you would like to work on this, we would welcome your contribution. Send
> an email to pmc at ecoinformatics.org to get an account.  You can see more
> information on becoming a collaborator here:
> https://kepler-project.org/developers/get-involved#become-a-project-member
>
> Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
>
> Chad
>

> Anatoly Loy wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> I'm novice, and therefore I apologize for the bad English and strange
>> questions:).
>> Also, be grateful for the correction of my text, or a warning that
>> this newsletter is not the place for such letters.
>>
>> I'm Anatoly Lou, and i works at the Institute of Software Systems of
>> National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
>>
>> I am interested in the project Kepler and now want to participate in
>> its implementation in our academic space.
>>
>> For scientists one of the highlights of usability is internationalized
>> interface (and, accordingly, internationalized documentation).
>>
>> So I tried to perform the localization/internationalization
>> (incidentally, what is more accurately?) from English into their
>> native Ukrainian, but encountered a number of "technical" problems.
>>
>> Therefore the first question is:
>>
>> where to go with the problems of internationalization?
>>
>> I found the forum "User Representation and Outreach Team"
>> (
>> https://kepler-project.org/developers/kepler-development-forum/user-representation-and-outreach-team
>> )
>> And even  found the relevant topic "internationalization of
>> documentation and Kepler"
>> (https: / /
>> kepler-project.org/developers/kepler-development-forum/user-representation-and-outreach-team/592075565
>> ),
>> but did not understand how to create a new account to get the right to
>> write in this forum. :(
>>
>> Thanks for yours attention.
>>
>> Yours truly, Anatoly Loy :)

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo