[kepler-users] UTF-8 Support

Peter Reutemann fracpete at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:12:56 PST 2009

> Is there support for UTF-8 encoded files/strings?
> I have data which is encoded in UTF-8 which does not seem to be able to be
> read by the SimpleFileReader actor when dumping the text directly to the
> display.

Java natively supports UTF-8, but it always depends on the platform
that you're working on. If you're on Windows, then the default
encoding is CP1252 and not UTF-8 (as on my Ubuntu box).

You can change the default encoding being used by starting the JVM
with a specific "file.encoding" parameter:
  java -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -classpath ...

NB: Haven't tested that with Kepler, but I've come across that problem
with a different software package.

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174