[kepler-users] semantic actor suggestion

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 1 10:48:53 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Most of the semantic annotation code is now a bit old (3-4 yrs), and
was a prototype. Prior to this version we actually had an approach
based on a SPARQL implementation, however, it was decided that Kepler
should adopt an "object manager" approach, which stores actors and
actor metadata (including semantic annotations of actors) using MoML
and within a relational (in-memory) db. So, SPARQL wouldn't work for
this, unless we went to an RDF approach for representing annotations,
metadata, etc. Another problem with SPARQL (I think this is what you
meant) at least from my experience is that it is more focussed on
querying resources and their properties, and less useful for querying
over class definitions. The latter requires a reasoner (like Pellet,
Fact++, etc.). Finding actors based on their semantic types is all
about matching class definitions, and not about searching for class
instances.

Anyway, we are currently in the process of revamping the annotation
interfaces to make it easier and hopefully more obvious to folks that
actors (and their ports) can be tagged (e.g., a draft plan for this is
here: https://kepler-project.org/developers/incubation/GUI/kepler-tagging).
So far, zero Kepler actors have their ports annotated. But perhaps
with some UI changes more actors will be annotated, etc.  We are also
making changes so that basic types of ontology creation and editing
are exposed and available from within Kepler. Again, this might make
the annotation capabilities more usable.

If you would like to help with any of this (designing and/or implement
ui's, designing apis, suggesting features, architecture, technology's,
etc.) that would be awesome!

Shawn