[kepler-users] For loop

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:34:11 PST 2009

Hi Michael:

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're after, in particular, given
the subject "For loop".
But here is an attempt at an answer:

In Kepler most workflows use a dataflow director (often PN, DDF, or SDF).

In a dataflow model of computation an actor A can "fire" repeatedly, i.e.,
we can think of A executing a sequence of "firings" or "invocations" A1, A2,
A3, ...

For example, consider an actor A which reads one token x, computes y = A(x),
then writes one token y. If you "feed" A with a sequence of tokens [x1,x2,
...., xn] then it will output a sequence of tokens
[y1,y2, .., yn] where y_i = A_i(x_i), with A_i denoting the i'th firing of
A.

Now the whole process can be understood as "iterating" (in the style of a
For loop) over the input sequence (or stream), producing outputs along the
way.

There's much more to this though. A possible starting point for reading is
here:
The Semantics of Dataflow with
Firing<http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/publications/papers/08/DataflowWithFiring/>by
Edward A. Lee and Eleftherios Matsikoudis.
plus of course the Ptolemy documentation or Kepler documentation.
(I don't have a specific pointer handy ... Does someone else?)

best

Bertram