[kepler-users] Keeping R environment between R actors

ben leinfelder leinfelder at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 14 15:42:30 PDT 2009

Tommy,
The current implementation of the R actor (RExpression) starts an
entirely new R session (as though you'd quit and then re started R
from the the command line) for every R actor in the workflow. As you
know - this can get costly, and I'm afraid you won't be able to keep
those libraries loaded across each actor.
There has been some development with an alternative R actor
implementation (RExpression2) that uses native Java-R bindings and a
single R interpreter across actors. I'm still finding kinks in this
"JRI" implementation (it can crash _hard_), but feel free to try it
out - it may be just what you are looking for in terms of maintaining
your environment.
-ben