[kepler-users] Newbie question

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 19 18:11:41 PST 2008

Dear José,

There are many other good workflow systems in existence, but I'd have
to agree with you that Kepler sounds like a good fit.  Taverna is a
good system, but is heavily centered on executing web services.  We've
done a lot of work in Kepler to create various versions of a command
line execution component that lets you launch a local shell command
and process its output effectively.  We've also created a number of
other script execution components, including components for executing
R scripts and Matlab scripts.  With these, you have access to the many
bridges that R and Matlab provide to other popular scientific software
packages that run on the local desktop.  Finally, there's the builtin
actors in Kepler like the Jython actor that lets you execute python
scripts -- I even think someone was working on a perl actor and asked
about it on the mailing list recently.

Pegasus is focused on executing grid jobs, taverna on web services.
Kepler can execute both of these as well, but also includes many
components focused on running on the local desktop.  Triana might fit
your needs, but I don't think they've done as much as we have in the
Kepler community on access to scientific scripting systems, but you
might want to check them out too.

Cheers,
Matt

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM, José Román Bilbao Castro
<jrbcast at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a lot of different programs belonging to a software package.
> Developers want to use workflows to make
> such programs work coordinately depending on user needs (so we only want to
> invoke command-line
> applications. At the beginning all will be run on a desktop machine
> so we don't need grids. We have been having a look at Kepler and Taverna. At
> this moment we think Kepler fits better
> to our needs.
>
> Based on that, the question is.. Do you know another software alternative
> which fits our needs?.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ===============================
> José Román Bilbao Castro, PhD
> Dept. Arquitectura de Computadores y Electrónica
> Edif. CITE III.
> Universidad de Almería
> La Cañada de San Urbano, 04120
> Almería (Spain)
> jrbcast at gmail.com

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo