[kepler-dev] help: how to modify the code?

DONGHOON KIM dhkim717 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:27:30 PDT 2014

Dear Daniel and Kepler developers,

I really appreciate your reply!

I can execute the provenance module in eclipse. It is working!!! but I do
not know how to modify some code of the provenance module in eclipse. I
want to know the steps about how to change some code in provenance module.

My problem is:
After I typed three commands:
---
svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/
release-branches/build-area-2.4 build-area
cd build-area
ant change-to -Dsuite=reporting-2.4
ant eclipse
---
I can see provenance-2.4 folder in my directory.
However, after executing the provenance module (Tools->Module Manager
->Available Suite and Modules -> adding provenance-2.4 ->Apply and
Restart),
I can see provenance-2.4.0 folder in my directory, which has only jar file.

so I tried to change some lines in provenance-2.4\src\Schemas.java. It does
not affect anything in provenance module.
so I replace jar file in provenance-2.4.0 with provenance-2.4 after making
jar file in provenance-2.4
It does not affect in provenance module.

My questions are:

Suppose that I follow your instruction exactly. and I use provenance.pdf
documentation to launch provenance module (
https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-branches/provenance-2.4/docs/
)

   1. Which directory (provenance-2.4 or provenance-2.4.0) should I change
   for provenance module?
   2. After changing the code, how can the change be appeared in provenance
   module? Do I type a command such as "ant compile or ant jar"? I have
   checked "Build Automatically" in eclipse.

Thank you for your time!

-Donghoon

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Daniel Crawl <danielcrawl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Donghoon,
>
> You'll need to get provenance 2.4 from the svn repository and generate
> the Eclipse project files:
>
> mkdir kepler-2.4
> cd kepler-2.4
> svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/
> release-branches/build-area-2.4 build-area
> cd build-area
> ant change-to -Dsuite=reporting-2.4
> ant eclipse
>
> You can then import the modules as projects in Eclipse. There are
> instructions for setting up Kepler in Eclipse here:
>
> https://kepler-project.org/developers/reference/kepler-
> and-eclipse#detailed-instructions-for-setting
>
> These instructions download the Kepler trunk instead of 2.4. Once
> you run the above commands to get Kepler 2.4, you can skip to step
> 8 in these instructions.
>
> The provenance documentation is in:
>
> https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/
> release-branches/provenance-2.4/docs/
>
>   --dan
>

> On 10/14/14 6:37 PM, DONGHOON KIM wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel and Kepler developers,
>>
>> I can download the provenance source code from provenance-2.4. Also, I
>> have
>> provenance-2.4.0 which has provenance-2.4.jar file, not source code.
>> I can execute provenance module.
>>
>> However, I have to modify provenance module for my research. However, it
>> seems like my project uses provenance-2.4.0, not provenance-2.4. In other
>> word, provenance-2.4.0 has only class files rather than source code.
>>
>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. How can I change to use provenance-2.4, not provenance-2.4.0 in eclipse
>> or project? Any configuration file to switch each version?
>>
>> 2. Do you have any documentation regarding provenance implementation?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> -Donghoon
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Daniel Crawl <danielcrawl at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Donghoon,
>>>
>>> This will download the provenance 2.4 source code:
>>>
>>> svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/
>>> release-branches/provenance-2.4/
>>>
>>>    --dan
>>>

>>> On 10/13/14 7:58 PM, DONGHOON KIM wrote:
>>>
>>>  Dear Kepler developers,

Donghoon Kim
Dept of Computer Science
North Carolina State University