[kepler-dev] best practices for minimizing process start-up latency?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:08:50 PST 2014

Ah! I see, I misunderstood.

Yes, it should be possible to use Aspect Oriented programming to do
this.  Page 370 of the book has some information about aspect oriented
programming.

I believe you would need to add an actor that would handle the recording
and then annotate the ports that are to use that actor.

There is this larger issue of checkpointing and rollback that could be
useful for long running models.  The idea is that if we could checkpoint
a model, then if there was a problem with execution, we could resume
from the checkpoint.  If the actors have no state, then knowing what
tokens are on the ports might be sufficient.  However, if the actors
have state, then more work would probably be necessary. There was some
work done with modifying actor code to allow backtracking, though not
much has happened with that code for some time.

_Christopher

On 1/10/14 9:44 AM, Rich Morin wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2014, at 09:20, Christopher Brooks wrote:
>> My responses are below.
> Thanks!
>
>>> The following questions have to do with the inter-actor "piping"
>>> and best practices for command debugging and optimization.
>>>
>>> Q:  Can I add recording and/or archiving as attributes to a pipe?
>>>
>>>      So, for example, could I tell Kepler to turn on recording for
>>>      particular pipes, without needing to explicitly add an actor?
>>>      (This could be used for "tracing" key paths in an app.)
>> I don't know of an actor that has access to pipes.  ...
> Perhaps I should have said "plumbing".  I'm referring to the usual
> communication channels used by Kepler/Ptolemy actors, not to Unix
> named pipes, etc.
>
> There was a talk at the PII meeting about hanging attributes on
> connections.  I was wondering if something like this could be used
> to enable archiving or analysis of the transmitted data, etc.
>
> -r
>
>   --
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm at cfcl.com
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841
>
> Software system design, development, and documentation

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)