[kepler-dev] Using web technologies with Kepler?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 20 12:06:21 PST 2013

Hi Rich,

I'm still going through back email and found this.  You were at the
Ptolemy Miniconference, so this is old news to you, but I thought I'd
follow up for those who were not at the miniconference.

Ptolemy II has the Ptango project, see
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptango/

Ptango demos are in the devel tree in $PTII/org/ptolemy/ptango/demo.

The OccupancyAlert demo uses d3.  This work is under development so it
might not work out of the box, but you can see what can be done.

Beth's talk from the Ptolemy miniconference is at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/pubs/1027.html

Elizabeth Latronico. "Web Service Architecture for Composable,
Interdisciplinary Applications". Talk or presentation, 7, November,
2013; Presented at the 10th Biennial Ptolemy Miniconference
<http://ptolemy.org/conferences/13>, Berkeley.

There is also a chapter in the book,
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/books/Systems/chapters/WebInterfaces.pdf

_Christopher

On 11/5/13 12:01 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
> Looking in the Kepler docs, I see indications that it can make
> use of web technologies.  However, I'm a bit unclear on the
> details.  Specifically, I'm interested in taking advantage of
> D3, a JavaScript library that supports data visualization and
> interactive manipulation using SVG, css, etc:
>
>    http://d3js.org
>    https://github.com/mbostock/d3/wiki/Gallery
>
> Hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>

> BTW, anyone who finds these sorts of things interesting should
> spend some time watching Bret Victor's videos, eg:
>
>    Interactive Exploration of a Dynamical System
>    http://vimeo.com/23839605
>
>    Media For Thinking The Unthinkable
>    http://worrydream.com/MediaForThinkingTheUnthinkable
>
> -r
>
>   --
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm at cfcl.com
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841
>
> Software system design, development, and documentation

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)