[kepler-dev] Byte type in Kepler/Ptolemy.

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 20 17:48:31 PST 2013

Hi Jianwu,
Sure, if you want a ByteToken, feel free to add it to the ptII tree.
Be sure that the code closely follows the coding standard.
Be sure to add unit tests.

data/UnsignedByteToken.java says:
>  A token that contains a byte number in the range 0 through 255. This
>  UnsignedByteToken definition is in contrast to Java's definition of a
>  byte as a number in the range -128 through 127.

A ByteToken and an UnsignedByteToken are not losslessly convertible to
each other.

_Christopher

On 2/13/13 4:28 PM, Jianwu Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Kepler and Ptolemy support many types including unsignedByte. But
> I didn't see normal byte in Ptolemy. From the implementation of
> UnsignedByteToken, it looks we can use it for normal byte through its
> function like UnsignedByteToken(byte) and byteValue(). But I still
> think it is valuable to have a separate Byte type in Ptolemy. Any
> opinion on it? Thanks.

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm/TRUST         Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu, 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)