[kepler-dev] Odd issue with Save As

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 21 18:33:56 PST 2012

On 11/10/12 4:00 AM, Edward A. Lee wrote:
> We have a (new ?) issue with the Query class, I think.
> I'm not sure when this started happening, but it isn't
> in 8.1:
>
> In the Save As dialog, none of the Command-Key operations
> work. E.g., Command-A (to select all) or Command-V
> (to paste).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Edward

Interesting.
To use the javax.swing.FileChooser, try:
   java -Dptolemy.ptII.useFileDialog=false -classpath $PTII
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication
Under Mac OS X, in the old dialog, Command-A and Command-V allow me to
update the
file name in the SaveAs entry widget

To use the java.awt.FileDialog, try
   java -Dptolemy.ptII.useFileDialog=false -classpath $PTII
ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication
Under Mac OS X, in FileDialog, Command-A and Command-V do not work

java.awt.FileDialog is preferred on the Mac.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2009/Sep/msg00308.html
says:
> On Sep 16, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Sergiy Michka wrote:
>
>     Hi list,
>

>     I'm using a FileDialog on Mac and a JFileDialog on Win, in Win
> copy paste works out of the box.
>     But on Mac (10.5.4 + java 1.5) I have to call
> fileDialog.enableInputMethods(true). With this call you can use right
> mouse clicks and select Copy/Cut/Paste from a PopupMenu.
>     But the shortcuts are still not working CTRL-C or APPLE-C etc.
>
>     Is it a known issue, is there any workarounds?
>

> I don't believe this is a feature of the native Mac OS X open/save
> dialogs, thus the issue would not be unique to Java on Mac OS X. While
> copy/paste works for files in the Finer, if you would like to see this
> feature in the OS open/save dialogs, please file a bug at
> <http://bugreporter.apple.com >.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Swingler
> Java Runtime Engineer
> Apple Inc.

However, Under Mac OS X 10.7.5, the Preview app does allow Command-V to
work in the entry widget?

Therefore, Java should also support this.

I submitted a bug to Apple about this.

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670