[kepler-dev] What ever came of the OSGI initiative?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 10 10:46:14 PDT 2011

Hi Frank,
My understanding is that some research was done and it was
found not to work out for Kepler.

Try using google to search for
site:http://lists.nceas.ucsb.edu osgi

Some good things did come out of that effort though.  One thing
is that I cleaned up a bunch of unneeded dependencies in the
ptolemy tree.

My current understanding is that a big issue is with how MoMLParser
instantiates actor classes by using reflection.  Apparently there
is an issue with OSGi where OSGi needs to know in advance what
classes are in the classpath.  The problem is that MoMLParser does not
know in advance what classes will be instantiated.  I don't find closed
systems to be that compelling for research.  A closed system is useful
for deployment. Here, closed means that only a predefined set of classes
will *ever* be loaded.

I'm a little foggy on the details, but I believe Eclipse has a buddy
annotation that could help.

In other news, I have funding to do some of the OSGi work, but
it is not scheduled until next year.  I think I blocked out about
6 months at 30% time.

In other, other news, I noticed that Taverna is in the process
of releasing an OSGi, see
http://www.mygrid.org.uk/dev/issues/browse/TOSGI

_Christopher

On 5/9/11 6:34 PM, Frank White wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> What ever came of the Kepler OSGI initiative? I see there were some
> OSGI investigations back in 2008, but I can't seem to find anything that
> documents a final decision. Appreciate any insights you might provide.
> Thanks!
> Frank

ph: 510.643.9841      	                      (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670