[kepler-dev] svn: Compression of svndiff data failed

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 8 15:29:06 PST 2011

Hi Derik,
The machine that handles svn for the ptII repository needed a reboot.
It had been up for 90 days and was running out of swap.

I was able to verify the problem you reported.

I started svnadmin verify, but it ran out of memory part way, which is a
sure sign of trouble.
dmesg should various problems with swap.

I believe that the issue is that Apache under Solaris 10 leaks memory.

I've restarted source.eecs.berkeley.edu and the command completed for me.

Can you try it again and let me know if there is a problem?

Thanks,

_Christopher

On 12/8/11 2:56 PM, Derik Barseghian wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Jing and I have started seeing this error today when trying to checkout ptolemy-kepler-2.3 from the command line (haven't tried a fresh checkout of trunk yet to know if it happens with "ptolemy" too).
>
> It's happened for me both when 1) doing a fresh checkout of reporting-2.3 with ant change-to, and 2) sometimes when changing into the ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src dir and manually running svn update (with svn 1.6.6).
>
> #1)
> mkdir tmp; cd tmp;
> svn co https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler/releases/release-branches/build-area-2.3 build-area;
> cd build-area;
> ant change-to -Dsuite=reporting-2.3;
> #...gets partway through ptolemy-kepler-2.3 checkout and:
> [change-to] A   /home/barseghian/dev2/tmp/ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src/ptolemy/actor/lib/mail/test
> [change-to] svn: Compression of svndiff data failed
>
> #2)
> cd ../ptolemy-kepler-2.3/src
> svn update
> # sometimes happens again here after awhile of file checkouts
>
> Any ideas? I saw you have mention of how to fix this when inside eclipse, but we're on cmd line, so that doesn't seem applicable, but maybe you're familiar with the issue.
> I did a quick google and saw a suggestion to check the repository for corruption with 'svnadmin verify', but I don't know the details of running that command.
>
> Derik

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670