[kepler-dev] Query Regarding Interactive Shell Actor

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 29 18:02:56 PDT 2010

Hi Subhav,

Before we go much further, could you answer these questions:

 >     If you are getting different behavior, then let me know:
 >     1) What operating system are you running?  I'm assuming it is Ubuntu
 >     9.10
 >     2) How did you build the release?  I'm assuming you built Kepler 2.0
 >     from sources.
 >     3) Are you running from within Eclipse or from the Command line?

When I try to open the trialSwitch.xml model in either the
Kepler-2.0-rc1 candidate or a devel version of the Kepler-2.0 head, I get:

ptolemy.kernel.util.IllegalActionException: No Kepler ID was or could be assigned to model: java.lang.ClassCastException: ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute
	at org.kepler.gui.frame.KeplerGraphTableau.<init>(KeplerGraphTableau.java:152)
	at org.kepler.gui.frame.KeplerGraphTableau$Factory.createTableau(KeplerGraphTableau.java:227)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.PtolemyTableauFactory.createTableau(PtolemyTableauFactory.java:100)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.TableauFactory.createTableau(TableauFactory.java:127)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.Configuration.createPrimaryTableau(Configuration.java:569)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.Configuration.openModel(Configuration.java:875)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.Configuration.openModel(Configuration.java:783)
	at ptolemy.actor.gui.TableauFrame._read(TableauFrame.java:987)
	at ptolemy.gui.Top._open(Top.java:801)
	at ptolemy.gui.Top$FileMenuListener.actionPerformed(Top.java:1207)
	at org.kepler.gui.MenuMapper$1.actionPerformed(MenuMapper.java:361)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1882)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2202)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:334)
	at apple.laf.ScreenMenuItem.actionPerformed(ScreenMenuItem.java:95)
	at java.awt.MenuItem.processActionEvent(MenuItem.java:597)
	at java.awt.MenuItem.processEvent(MenuItem.java:556)
	at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEventImpl(MenuComponent.java:298)
	at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEvent(MenuComponent.java:286)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

When I run it in my Ptolemy II devel tree, it opens fine.

On 3/29/10 4:14 PM, subhav mital wrote:
> Thanks a lot for trying this and running me through these options in detail.
> My question is that should it not pop-open a different display window,
> since thats really the functionality I desire.

I don't understand the above, I get only one display.
> Could you please try this
> with the current attached workflow?
>
> Display is just an example. In reality, I am trying to launch programs
> using external execution. Would this mimic the functionality you
> described?  (Each time an option is selected, it launches a different
> instance of the program)
>
> Please try the following:
>
> 1) Start the workflow
> 2) Enter 1, five times.
> 3) "Operation on the Second Branch" should appear five times in the same
> run. Each output appears in a different display window. Hence five
> display windows with the message, in the same run. (without stopping the
> workflow)

Under Mac OS X, I get one display window with "Operation on the Second Branch" 5 times.
This sounds different from what you are getting, which would be 5 different
display windows?
I also tried this on a Linux box, but I got the same result.

I suggest rebuilding from scratch and then trying a different machine.
You could also try running just the Ptolemy II 8.0.beta release, see
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII

_Christopher