[kepler-dev] [kepler-users] Recipe for using Ptolemy JAI actors?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:28:19 PDT 2010

JAI is redistributable, see
https://jai.dev.java.net/
"The source code for the jai-core project is licensed under the Java Research License (JRL) for non-commercial use. The JRL allows users to download, build, and modify the source code in the jai-core
project for research use, subject to the terms of the license.

The source for the jai-core project is also licensed for commercial use under a new no-fee Java Distribution License (JDL). The JDL allows commercial use of Java Advanced Imaging with or without
modification, as long as compatibility with the entire API Specification is maintained. This includes passing the TCK tests for Java Advanced Imaging, and retaining the javax namespace as defined by
the JCP."

However, the JAI is distributed with platform dependent binaries, so the
user would probably have to do the install themselves.  There is a 100%
Java distribution, but it is likely to be slow.

Having a separate package for JAI make sense, but I'd rather see some
of the build system bugs and rfes addressed, such as the test suite etc.
See
http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=build%20system&product=Kepler

Also, ptolemy/module-info/revision.txt is not being automatically updated.
Should it be?

_Christopher